Hourly Rate with Commission
Calling all mountain enthusiasts and meaningful jewellery lovers! Are you a natural connector who loves engaging and speaking with people? Do you love to support small, local businesses in your community and believe that jewellery is a form of self-expression, meant to be proudly displayed to tell your own unique story? Does attending weekly farmers markets (potentially even in Jasper National Park!) and local events sound like the perfect summer? If this sounds like you, keep reading!
Mackenzie Jones Designs is hiring a seasonal Market Sales and Brand Rep to sell and promote our jewellery at farmers markets and artisan shows in the Edmonton area over the summer and into the early fall season.
This is a seasonal position from late May to early October with varying hours and sales commission. Perfect for a student or someone with flexibility in their weekly schedule looking to supplement their cashflow (we see you planning that dream trip to Europe!). Please note you’ll need a personal vehicle or access to a vehicle large enough to get 6-foot tables, an outdoor 10x10 market tent, display and stock bins to and from markets.
About Mackenzie Jones Designs
We are a fun, community-oriented, small handmade jewellery business out of Calgary, Alberta. We create quality, everyday wear jewellery inspired by the mountains and the beauty of the Canadian landscape, with each piece being unique, meant to capture your story and keep your memories close. Home of the Mountain Ring, with over 70+ mountain necklaces in the likeness of actual mountain ranges, like the Three Sisters in Canmore and Pyramid Mountain in Jasper. We are mountain babes with a passion for storytelling and creating silly dancing + sassy content to put a smile on your face and remind you that we’re real people too.
What you will be doing
• Travelling across Edmonton (and potentially to Jasper) on a weekly basis and selling in person at markets with a positive and upbeat attitude
• Setting up and taking down quickly and effectively at markets and shows
• Promoting Mackenzie Jones jewellery and educating customers on our brand
• Staying on top of weekly inventory + your cash float/deposits and working with our Studio team to maintain market inventory levels
• Accurately tracking and submitting mileage and expenses for reimbursement
• Sharing and promoting the #mmountainlove on social media stories
• Representing the Mackenzie Jones brand in a professional manner by respecting market guidelines and rules and working collaboratively with market managers
What you bring to the team
• You’re passionate and bring that go-getter attitude - you want to be part of building a brand and community.
• Excellent customer service and clear communication – we take pride in the personalized customer care that we provide and is one of the reasons our customers love us.
• Adaptability and a team player – you are down to work rain or shine!
• Independent decision making and ability to think quickly on your feet (problem solving) – you can confidently handle most issues on your own knowing that we’ll be one call or text away but 3 hours from you in Calgary.
• Ability to responsibly manage your own time effectively and self-direct your work with minimal supervision – you’ll be a one-person show handling everything from set up to presentation to take down.
• Attention to detail is key for optimal sales, accurate inventory tracking and expense submission.
• Experience in retail, events or tradeshow sales would be an asset, but not required – don’t worry, we’ll train you!
• A love for content creation would be a definite asset – our followers love to see where they can find us to shop in-person!
• Must be able to lift, push and pull up to 50 lbs and stand for long periods of time - if we’re being honest, jewellery bins aren’t light, and you might work up a small sweat setting up at markets!
The other important stuff to know
• You’ll need a personal vehicle required or access to a vehicle (hatchback or bigger) + a valid Class 5 Driver’s License and insurance.
• This position is paid an hourly rate + a commission % on all the sales you make + a mileage rate.
• You will be responsible for tracking and reporting your own inventory levels for restocks and for submitting any expenses and mileage reports for reimbursement.
• Overnight stays out of town may be a thing (Jasper!) and we’ll cover your accommodations and meals.
• Weekend availability is a must. Your schedule will depend on how many markets and local events we get into and we tend to pick up ad hoc events here and there so be prepared for scheduling changes.
The fun stuff aka perks
• Did we already say commission?
• A summer getting to know the local farmers markets and artisan shows around the Edmonton area and meeting a ton of different people
• Generous staff discount on Mackenzie Jones jewellery
• Becoming part of an entrepreneurial community of amazing local makers
• Flexible, open and inclusive workplace and culture
How to apply
Please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume + a short intro about yourself and why you're excited to join our team.
We can't wait to hear from you!